Alter do Chão

Castelo do Alter do Chão

There is much to know in Alter do Chão, such as the Castle, whose construction dates back to the 14th century (having served as a manor house after the passage of its property to the House of Bragança), the Church of Our Lord Jesus of Outeiro, the Church of Mercy (twentieth century), the Chapel of Santana (seventeenth century), the Church of St. Francis (seventeenth century) , the Church of Our Lady of Joy (sixteenth century) based on what seems to have been the first church built in Alter do Chão, the Church of the Convent of St. Anthony of the seventeenth century, or the Chapel of St. Anthony of Olivais, of the sixteenth century.

Alter do Chão is well known for its Stud Farm, founded in 1748 by D. João V, with a view to breeding Lusitanian horses for Royalty . Nowadays here is the location of the Agricultural Professional School of Alter do Chão, the Portuguese School of Equestrian Art and a Pole of the University of Évora.